Non-Blintz Blintz Casserole - Easy














I was doing a bit of housekeeping on this blog, and discovered that I never got around to posting this recipe like I threatened to promised.  My apologies.  Even tho it's intended for use during Shavuot, it's easy and tasty enough to use for an everyday dairy lunch.

This recipe is based on the one in my shul's Sisterhood's bulletin.  I first made a non-blintz blintz casserole like this one a few years back, but  that version is hiding somewhere amongst my other cookbooks, so I tried this one instead. 

I liked this version alot  because it tastes like a blintz, but without using overpriced frozen blintzes or spending time making them from scratch.  Normally I like making things from scratch.  But I have a bit of a problem making crepes that 1) have no holes in them 2) are not so thick as to prevent said holes or 3)don't chemically bond with the pan.  Many moons ago there was a crepe craze upon this Unites States, and you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a store that didn't sell a crepe pan (AS SEEN ON TV!!!).  True, it looked like a small upside-down frying pan with holes in the sides ... but I digress ...

I prefer this dish served warm, but I have eaten it straight out of the fridge cold when too lazy to reheat it and it's not bad that way.

Quick Non-Blintz Blintz Casserole
 Yield: 4-6 servings

Filling:
1 lb small curd cottage cheese
1 large egg
1 tsp sugar
Pinch of salt
2 Tbl. butter, melted

Batter:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Topping:
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F.   Grease a 9-inch square baking pan and set aside.

Using a wooden spoon combine all the filling ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.

In a medium size bowl whisk together all the batter ingredients until smooth.

Pour half the batter mixture into prepared pan.  Spoon all the filling over the batter.  Cover with remaining batter.  Sprinkle evenly with cinnamon, if desired.

Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 1 hour, or until top is nicely browned.














Serve warm.

Comments