Elephant Ears (Palmiers)














This coming weekend, my house will be descended upon by a massive horde  (definition:  anything over 1 guest is a horde by me) in anticipation of olderChild's engagement party.  I don't have to do any cooking for the party since it's at my MIL's house and the entire soiree will be catered, but I do have to feed a snack or two to the 4 guests staying at my house.  Plus dinner.

This past Thursday, a fellow library co-worker handed me one of our latest acquisitions, The Kosher Baker  by Paula Shoyer, just before it was about to hit our new book section.

Ohboyohboyohboy!  O frabjus day!  Easy to make parve goodies!

Oooh, Elephant Ears!  Only 3 ingredients if you don't count the dusting flour!  Woo-hoo!

So I (after checking it out to myself, I'm nothing if not honest) ran home (drove really ... at the time I was scheduled to leave of course) with thoughts of Elephant Ears parading around in my head (not as pain-ful as it sounds ... pain = bread in French  ... get it? :P ).

Yes!  Frozen puff pastry in the freezer!  Score!

And not expired!  Double score!

Until this past Thursday, I had never even heard of the term Palmiers.  Or Elephant Ears, except when referring to elephant anatomy.  But everyone at work, when I brought in a batch the next day, exclaimed, "Elephant Ears!"  And in a good way.

But don't they sound so fancy-schmancy when called Palmiers?   Okay, one snack down, several more plus dinner ideas left upon which to decide to go.

Because the book is so new and I haven't really changed the recipe (except when I accidentally forgot about the dusting with flour part), I'll leave you to purchase the book or find it in your local library.

But I can and will show you the photos that I took. :D

They taste good, too.  Not as sweet as from scratch, but still mighty fine.

Cinnamon Palmiers (aka Elephant Ears)

Note:  the following is a summary of the actual recipe.  For more details, check out the book.

Defrost puff pastry.  While waiting, mix cinnamon and sugar together.  Unfold one sheet of defrosted puff pastry and roll out, flattening creases.  Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar, then flip and sprinkle the other side as well.  














Roll up both ends to the middle.












Using a sharp knife, slice through at about 3/4 to one inch intervals.














Lay pieces, cut sides down, on an edgeless cookie sheet (allows better air circulation) lined with parchment.  Leave lots of room for the pastries to puff up and expand.

Bake until they start to brown and the sugar starts to ooze a bit.   Then flip 'em and cook for another 5 minutes to brown the new tops.














Ears after flipping.













The B side after another 5 minutes of baking.

Cool, then store, covered tightly, at room temperature for a couple days, or freeze for when the guests arrive.

Comments