Challah Bread Pudding














Welcome to the latest installment of the Secret Recipe Club where once a month each member makes a recipe from a blog assigned to him/her.  My assignment this month is Enriching Your Kid!, brought to you by Shirley.  Shirley is a SAHM who specializes in healthy recipes that kids will actually eat, which can be quite a challenge at times.   I really liked quite a lot of them (the recipes, not the kids.  Not that I don't like kids, don't get me wrong, I was one once ... I even have a few of my own.  But I digress ...).

A whole wheat challah was residing in my bread drawer, so when I saw Shirley's bread pudding recipe post, where she mentioned how she made her bread pudding with whole wheat bread, I knew I had found a winner.














I posted a bread pudding with challah a short few months ago, but there is no rule against selecting a  similar recipe for the SRC.  Shirley's recipe is a little faster to the table since it is baked, rather than slow-cooked.  Plus it added a touch of cardamon.  I recently used this sweet spice in my kulfis and it sounded like an interesting touch to add along with that old standard cinnamon, so I left it in.

Shirley suggests using leftover sandwich crusts for the pudding.  It's a wonderful and thrifty idea, especially for parents who cut the crusts off sandwiches ... even when preparing them for children.  But if you are using challah, please don't cut off the crusts.  They are the best part, right after the fluffy insides.

Whole wheat challah.  Regular wheat is creamier-colored.














Speaking of challah, for very new Dear Readers who don't know what I am talking about, challah (pronounced HAH-lah by those who can't make the guttural kh sound) is a honey-egg bread, traditionally braided before baking.  It can be eaten with any meal on any day of the week, but is usually reserved to be served alongside shabbat (sabbath) and most holiday meals. 

If your challah is fresh (which it probably will be because there never are leftovers), cube the bread then leave it spread out in a single layer a few hours to dry them out.  That way the cubes will more efficiently absorb the milk mixture and bake faster, in around 30 minutes.  If you use fresh challah cubes, baking time will take up to 45 minutes, and a bit of custard will form around the cubes instead of inside them.   As an alternative, use raisin challah and reduce or omit the added raisins.

Thanks Shirley!

Challah Bread Pudding
Adapted from Enriching Your Kid!

2 Tbl. butter, divided
2 1/2 cups milk
4 cups cubed stale challah (whole wheat preferred)
3 medium or large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp. cardamom powder
1/3 cup raisins (semi-optional)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
powdered sugar or whipped cream, for garnish

















Pre-heat oven to 350F.  Grease a 2 quart baking pan with 1 tablespoon of the butter.  In a large mixing bowl place the cubed challah.  Set everything  aside.


Measure the milk into a 4 cup measuring cup.  Stir or whisk in the eggs, sugar, cinnamon, and cardamon.

Melt the remaining butter in a small microwave-safe cup for 30 seconds at full power in the microwave.   Stir into the milk mixture.














Pour mixture over the challah cubes.  Mix gently until all the cubes  are moistened.  It will look like too much liquid, but will cook down. If using raisins and/or walnuts and everyone likes raisins and/or walnuts, stir them in now. 















 Pour challah mixture into prepared baking pan.

youngerSon hates raisins, so I stirred them into one side of pan














Place in preheated oven and bake for 30-45 minutes, or until the pudding is puffy, the liquid has been absorbed and the pudding edges turn golden brown.   Place on cooling rack.  If not serving within 30 minutes, cover and refrigerate.

With powdered sugar.  I ate the one with whipped cream.













 Serve warm or chilled, dusted with powdered sugar or whipped cream if desired.

Darn ... out of reach!















Disclaimer - because this recipe is part of an online cooking group, the linked recipes below might not be kosher.   

Comments

  1. I don't think I ever had bread pudding...although I do LOVE challah! Bread pudding looks great and very simple to make...will have to give it a try! Great SRC pick...

    ReplyDelete
  2. O my Gosh! What a twist! I would never have come up with that. Great job Dena- all the tweaks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirley,
      A big thank YOU for supplying the original recipe!

      Delete
  3. I recently had bread pudding for the first time and loved it. I look forward to trying my hand at making it now, and when I do, I'll give this recipe a try! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never made bread pudding (or challah for that matter) but I have often eaten challah and I can imagine the nice eggy richness it adds to a bread pudding. Delicious looking recipe.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group "A" SRC entry: Double Chocolate Mousse Cake.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks absolutely delicious! I LOVE bread pudding, especially made with challah.

    I made you chocolate covered bananas for today's reveal, and in fact am enjoying one right now - thanks for the recipe!

    Happy baking :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This bread pudding sounds delicious, and as someone who also doesn't love raisins, I love that you made half without for your son! Great choice for SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never made bread pudding at home, although it is one of my favorite desserts to order in a restaurant. Come to think of it, I haven't had it in more than 10 years!

    shame...

    great choice for SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man oh man this looks awesome!! I love that you used challah, soooo delicious! Awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I haven't made bread pudding in years, not since I did a New Orleans's themed dinner. I can't wait to try this recipe, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a wonderful idea. I bet it taste delicious using challah instead of regular bread.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank YOU for teaching us the pronunciation of this bread! i was saying "CHalla". haha. very helpful and fabulous looking. the word and the dessert. :)

    happy belated SRC reveal day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love bread pudding and this looks delicious! The last photo is the best :) Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated! Any spam or improper language will be detected and deleted.