Chopped Guac - Easy


Think guacamole is only good paired with tortilla chips?  Think again.
So there I was with an about-to-be-overripe avocado on the counter, and a steak in need of a good grilling. So I thought, why not combine the two?  But although I like guacamole, and I do like steak, the idea of  spreading guac on steak sounded less than appetizing.  However, the idea of of dicing all the ingredients managed to snick into my thought bubble.  Occasionally I think great thoughts, I say without a shred of modesty.


Because of the lime juice and possibly the acid in the tomato as well, leftover chopped guac will stay reasonably green for up to a day if immediately shoved into a plastic bag, all the air carefully expelled.  But just in case, especially if serving to company (or very picky eaters), serve within a few hours.


Chopped Guac
Yield: 2 cups, enough for 4 steaks

1 ripe avocado, diced into 1/2" cubes (finer if your avocado isn't almost over-ripe)
1 Roma tomato, seeded and finely diced
1/2 small red onion, finely diced
2 tsp. fresh lime juice (approx. 1/2 lime)
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
1/2-1 tsp. Franks Hot Sauce, or to taste


Gently combine all ingredients.  


theHubby's steak.  He doesn't like broccoli.

Serve over your favorite cut of (preferably grilled) steak or with a pile of tortilla chips.

Comments